Wednesday 24 February 2021

Feb 14th - Bets/Staking rationale

 Todays Suggested bets


Matrix bets

Punchestwon

4:30
Born by the Sea 2 units win 12/1
Roaring Bull 1 unit win 16/1
Dounikos 2 units win 40/1

Best bets

None



On the back of a blank day yesterday, there was a temptation to have a go at something today - but it would have been the wrong thing to do…

The weather has made a mess of things are Exeter.

The abandonment of the chases means that there is only one race of significant interest on the card - and I’ve little idea how things will look in terms of ground conditions and actual runners, come the off.
The race itself also looks a minefield - so in the circumstances, there was little option other than to swerve it.

Things are a little more straightforward at Punchestown - but again, there is only one race of interest, and it’s a very hard one to read.
I’m prepared to have a few small plays in the race - but it’s not one to be going mad on.

As a result, we have another quiet day - but looking at the forecast, I’m optimistic that things are about to improve.
Certainly by next weekend, I would be very hopeful that the weather won't be messing things up quite so much !


Exeter

I found it nearly impossible to figure out the Pertemps qualifier (4:10).
I may well have taken a risk on Portrush Ted - but he was withdrawn this morning.
As a result, I struggled to see an angle…
If the ground is heavy, then Agrapart would be of interest; whilst strong market support for Palmers Hill, would be significant.
Does he Know could also be of some interest - though his market weakness is a concern (I wonder if he might be withdrawn).

Punchestown

The Grand National trial (4:30) doesn’t look much easier to solve than the Pertemps qualifier !
I was initially drawn to Born By the Sea - but I worry that he won’t be sufficiently street-wise for a race of this nature.
He warrants a small play on the Matrix - but nothing more than that.
The Big Dog and Thermistcles are 2 others of interest - though I see minimal margin in their prices.
I’d rather take a tiny risk on a couple of the Gordon Elliott trained outsiders: Roaring Bull and Dounikos.
Both are very speculative - but are priced accordingly.
I did briefly consider making Dounikos a Best bet - but he’s not.
He has a chance - but it’s quite slim. That said, it’s better than his price of 40/1 suggests !

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report

  Introduction   A number of changes were made to the TVB service for the 2020-21 season.   Perhaps the most significant, was the formal s...