Monday 5 April 2021

Apr 5th - Bets/Staking rationale

 Todays Suggested bets


For the Irish National, you'll almost certainly get better prices on the exchanges - and the liquidity should be there. Just be patient !
I've put guide exchange prices in brackets, for the Matrix bets.

Matrix bets

Fairyhouse

5:00
Opposites Attract 2 units win 25/1 (34)
Opposites Attract 2 units place 6/1
Run While Fred 2 units 10/1 (12)
Espanito Bello 1 unit 14/1 (18)
Brace Yourself 1 unit 16/1 (19)
Augusta Gold 1 unit 10/1 (13)
Robin de Carlow 1 unit 16/1 (18)

Plumpton

2:55

The Unit 5 units win 8/1
Solomon Grey 2 units win 4/1


Best bets

Fairyhouse

5:00
Opposites Attract 0.25pt EW 25/1

Plumpton

2:55

The Unit 0.5pt win 8/1

 

There was really only one race of interest at Fairyhouse today - the Irish Grand National.

However, it has such a strong field, that even narrowing it down to a manageable size, was tricky…

Far easier to dissect, was the Sussex Champion chase at Plumpton - so I previewed that race and added a couple of bets there as well.

I was intrigued to see how the market coped with me doing that - and the answer, was not as bad as I feared !

Unsurprisingly, the 8/1+ on The Unit, went very quickly - but 15/2 was still available 10 mins after I issued - which is quite acceptable.
All it’s got to do now, is win !

Here’s the thinking behind todays bets…


Fairyhouse

The defection of Beacon Edge from the 3:50, has given the race a very different look.
In his absence, The Bosses Oscar is now a short priced favourite - but he wouldn’t interest me at 7/4.
French Dynamite holds a little more appeal at 10/3 - but not sufficient to get involved.
Stormy Island is the potential joker in the pack - but again, a price of 11/2 doesn’t overly compensate for the risks.
On balance, I can’t see a bet in the race…

There was a temptation to take on Fakir D’oudairies in the 4:20.
I think even money is too short - and dutching Battleoverdoyan and Easy Game against him, would have more appeal.
The trouble is, both need to bounce back to form (which they may or may not do).
I have backed them both at just over 5/1 - meaning I’ve got around 5/2 on one of them winning.
I think that’s a fair bet (if not an outstanding one) - if you can get it…

Opposites Attract is undoubtedly the value call in the Irish National (5:00) at 25/1+.
Back in October, he ran Latest Exhibition to 2 and a half lengths at level weights.
Today, he receives 18lb from him - which should see the form well and truly reversed !
I doubt it will be that straightforward - but all the same…
On that run, Opposites Attracts also holds Run Wild Fred and Espanito Bello - and I quite fancy those 2.
He’s shown decent form in his other races this season - and I like the fact he was given a break between Christmas and last month.
The suggestion being that he has been targeted at this race.
He may not be quite good enough to win - but I do expect him to run a really big race.
I was spoilt for choice for the Matrix: but I think Run Wild Fred is just about the most likely race winner.
I also want to cover on Espanito Bello and Brace Yourself.
I was pretty keen on the latter - but the 33/1 became 16/1 - and that has tempered enthusiasm for him.
The final 2 for the Matrix are the Willie Mullins pair, Augusta Gold and Robin de Carlow.
Neither have conventional profiles - but both could be well handicapped and if anyone can get them to perform, it’s Willie !

Plumpton

I looked at the Sussex Champion chase (3:55) yesterday afternoon - but didn’t expect The Unit to be such a big price this morning.
He looks just about the most likely race winner to me - so there is plenty of value in a quote of 8/1.
The form of his penultimate run at Warwick is good enough to win this - and he is now 2lb lower.
He was unplaced last time at Cheltenham - but I think it says a lot that Alan King was even prepared to run him in that race.
Solomon Grey looks by far the biggest danger - and it is worth saving on him for the Matrix.
The Unit is the Best bet of the day tho - probably the best bet of the weekend !

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report

  Introduction   A number of changes were made to the TVB service for the 2020-21 season.   Perhaps the most significant, was the formal s...