Wednesday 31 March 2021

Review of the Weekend - Mar 27th-28th

 The weekends between Cheltenham and Aintree are always a bit quiet - and that was certainly the case this weekend, with just 2 races on terrestrial TV across the 2 days.


However, there were some reasonable races: whilst things do tend to be a touch easier, when you’re not trying to solve ferocious big field handicaps !  


Saturday

Rain on Friday, slightly messed up the ground at both Newbury and Kelso, which I could have done without.

I did at least get to see the effect at Newbury, as they raced there on the Friday.
However, I had to guess on the impact at Kelso - and that made me a bit nervous about getting heavily involved (it doesn’t take much !).

As a consequence, I ended up with just a couple of Best bets on the day.

The first one was a speculative play at Kelso.
I was hopeful, that stepped back up in trip, after a couple of runs at shorter distances - and with a 10lb claimer in the saddle, Taxmeifyoucan might be able to outrun his odds.

I knew he was risky - and that he might not have the required class to stay with the field when the pace quickened - however, I was hoping that he might be able to finish strongly and perhaps grab a win.

Well, I got the first part right - he did struggle to maintain a position when the pace quickened - but alas, that was it !

I’ve no excuses, he simply wasn’t good enough.

I thought I saw an angle: I was wrong: we move on !

The other Best bet on the day was Espoire de Teillee at Newbury…

He was a different beast, as I felt I could dissect his race - and he came out as the most likely winner (provided I was right !).

In truth, I wasn’t quite right - as I thought that Kalooki and Boldmere might get into a battle for the lead.
Instead, Grand Sancy went off like a scalded cat - and neither of the other two made it to the front.

However, Espoire de Teillee got a great ride from Tom Scu - sitting in the box seat, just behind the leader.
Ultimately, I think that won him the race, as whilst Kalooki put in a strong challenge after the last, he couldn’t quite peg back Espoire.

Tom Scu at Newbury, has been a nice theme for this TVB season…

In addition to the Best bets, there were a few more for the Matrix, at Newbury.

The first batch were in the opener, where I wanted to take a position on Dark Flame - supported by the 2 race favourites.
I quite fancied Dark Flame - but the ground (and his price !) had gone by the time I issued the bets, so I backed off him.
He ran a fair race to finish fifth, without ever really threatening.
Fortunately however,Tinkers Hill Tommy provided excellent cover and came home  a good winner - meaning that it was a profitable race for the Matrix.

The only other bet for the Matrix was also profitable - and that was a bit more of a  surprise…
I took a small risk on Bourbon Beauty, simply because I felt her price was too big at 28/1.
She was half those odds come the off, which is always a good sign - and she promptly went on and made all !
She was never going to be a Best bet - but it was still nice to profit from her on the Matrix.

There wasn't a great deal to report from the other races of potential interest on the day.
The ground was softer at Kelso than I expected when I wrote the preview - and that invalidated a lot of what I said,.
Fortunately, I became aware that might be the case before I issued any of the days bets - so no damage was done (officially speaking).

Over at Newbury, I’d managed to narrow the only other race of interest down to 2 - and one of them won.
However, that was the 2/1 fav - and as you should know by now, I tend not to get involved at those kind of prices…

All in all though, not a bad day….


Sunday


Sunday was even quieter than Saturday - with just the 3 races of interest on the Ascot card.

However, I quite liked the look of 2 of them - and was happy enough issuing a Best bet in both.

Defi Sacre was the first of those to run…

It could be argued that he wasn’t particularly well handicapped - and that he was unproven over the trip.
However, my take was that he might improve for a step up in distance - and therefore could be sufficiently well handicapped to win.

And I was right :)

He tracked early leader, Awake at Midnight - and when the 2 of them kicked on down the side of the track, the race looked to lie between the pair.

Almost as quickly, it was clear that Defi was travelling all over his main rival - and he was trading heavily odds on IR, when he turned into the straight.

However, mindful of his unproven stamina, James Best hadn’t asked him any questions - and under a strong ride, Marracudja was closing.

There was a few moments, on the approach to the last, when a slight doubt entered the mind - but thankfully Best was indeed sitting on something - and when he asked, Defi responded.

It was another pleasing win !

The other Best bet on the day was Present Man in the veterans chase - and I really could have fancied him.

There were reasons for opposing all of his rivals - and I was pretty sure that a peak form Present Man would be very hard to beat.

The only niggle in the back of my mind, was how weak he had been in the betting on his latest run at Newbury.
If that hadn't happened (and even if he had run exactly the same race), then he would have been a 1pt bet today.

Thankfully however, I listened to the voice - and settled for just 0.5pt - as once again he was incredibly weak in the betting.

He drifted from 6.6 to 13.5 in the final few mins before the off (the ones that really count) - and that doesn’t happen with horses that are going to run big races.

In the race itself, he went off in front (there was limited competition) - but not long after half way he was under pressure.
He was soon tailed off - and pulled up…

I have to admit that I was a little suspicious of what happened - mainly because of the huge price drift.
However, the horses was retired post race - so whilst I still think aspects were a bit dodgy, I’ll leave most of my thoughts unsaid…

In the race itself, Singlefarmpayment wound back the clock and won his first race for 5 years.
His mark had dropped 16lb during that period and he was so well handicapped, he would have found it hard not to win (assuming he was physically sound)

Meanwhile Crosspark finished an honourable second - for the fifth time this season.
He’ll likely be nudge up the handicap a couple of pounds - thereby making it even less like he will win next season.

In addition to Present Man, I also saved on Royal Vacation for the Matrix - but he too was pulled up.

There was one final bet for the Matrix in the juvenile handicap.
I felt that Global Agreement was over-priced and took a small risk on him - however he was never sighted.
I also felt that Herbier was over-priced.
However, he wasn’t over-priced by as much with the bookmakers as he was on the exchanges - so I didn’t take a risk on him.

The prices for the Matrix bets, is an area I want to review before next season…

All this said, it was still another decent day - making quite a good weekend :)

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report

  Introduction   A number of changes were made to the TVB service for the 2020-21 season.   Perhaps the most significant, was the formal s...