Thursday 28 January 2021

Review of the day - Jan 28th

 Class Conti ran a huge race at Gowran this afternoon - but ultimately had to play third fiddle to a pair of Gordon Elliott trained novices…


It was difficult to not feel a little hard done by, as the first and second were both unexposed and received weight from Class Conti.

I was fully aware of their potential danger - but they had both been well found in the market, so with plenty to prove, I didn’t feel they represented value bets.

I felt that Class Conti represented a value bet - and I was spot on.
He travelled smoothly through the race - jumping economically - and looked to have every chance turning in.

However, it was at that point that Jack Kennedy asked Coco Beach - and he proved himself a very well handicapped horse.

Class Conti looked like finishing second - but he was run out of that position close home, by Run While Fred.

I take some consolation from the fact that I read the race very well - and put us on the best of the exposed horses in the race - but it is only consolation.

Ofcourse, with hindsight should have suggested him EW - and in truth, I did consider that option.
However, I know that some of your don’t like EW (I’m not a fan) - and some of you would struggle place such bets - so I resisted.

Normally, I use the Matrix to provide cover for the main bet - but that wasn’t an option today (because of poor prices). In the circumstances, EW would probably have been a reasonable call…

C’est la vie !

The Galmoy hurdle was the only other race of interest on the day.
I thought Great White Shark would take a deal of beating if she (note deliberate mistake from the preview !) handled the ground and was fully tuned.
I suspect she didn’t handle the ground (which was absolutely desperate) as she was beaten turning in.
I did hope that might leave the way open for Diol Ker - but he was run out of things by Sam Profile.
It was a huge effort from the winner on his first run over hurdles for nearly 2 years. He fully deserves to take his chance in the Stayers hurdle at Cheltenham.

TVB

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report

  Introduction   A number of changes were made to the TVB service for the 2020-21 season.   Perhaps the most significant, was the formal s...