Wednesday 20 January 2021

Review of the day - Jan 16th

 It was a very quiet day in the middle of a very quiet period - and whilst I didn’t feel I forced any bets, there were only 3 races on the day, in which I was ever likely to get involved… 


As it turned out, I found a Best bet in all 3 and whilst they weren’t the strongest bets I’ve suggested this season, I felt reasonably happy with each of them…

Golan Fortune was the first to run - and probably the one I liked best.

He was the outsider in a 3 horse race - but I thought I could see a way in which he could come home in front.

However, it relied on him bossing the race from the front - and the favourite, Next Destination, wouldn’t allow him to do that.

Credit to Harry Cobden (he said through gritted teeth !), as if Next Destination had been ridden by someone else, Golan Fortune may well have got an uncontested lead and been able to steal the race.

However, he gave Next Destination a forceful ride - constantly harrying Golan Fortune, and eventually forcing him into a mistake.

That could have given the initiative to Fiddlerontheroof, but Cobden had kept sufficient in reserve to withstand his late challenge.

Golan Fortune lost little in defeat, ultimately beaten just over 6 lengths, in third place - but that was of little consolation to his supporters (ie, us !)

Django Django was the second Best bet to run on the day.
I fancied him based on his defeat of Notachance 12 months ago, on heavy ground.

My hope, was that with conditions again on his favour, he would be able to confirm the form.
The fact that he could be backed at 3 times the price of Notachance, also added to his appeal !

However, the conditions at Warwick weren’t as soft as I had hoped, and he struggled to get into the race.
By contrast, Notachance was in his element - travelling nicely throughout and then battling when challenged after the last.

I covered stakes for the Matrix, with the well handicapped, Le Breuil - but he got outpaced, before finishing strongly to take third place.
As with Django Django, he requires more of a test than he got today…

The final Best bet of the day, was The Macon Lugnatic.
I was hoping that he might get an uncontested lead - and that David Bass could then control the race from the front - but that’s not how it worked out.

He did get to the front - but he was harried throughout and was beaten turning in.

In fairness, he was a risky one - but then again, so are most 18/1 shots !

I also covered Potters Corner for the Matrix - but could see pre-race, that conditions weren’t going to be soft enough to bring his boundless stamina into play…

There were 4 other races that I previewed (3 at Market Rasen and 1 at Warwick).
However, all 4 were won by the favourite, which at least suggested that my decision to resist any significant financial involvement in them, was a good one !

Ascot and Haydock take centre stage, next Saturday - suffice to say, I will be hoping for better…

TVB.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report

  Introduction   A number of changes were made to the TVB service for the 2020-21 season.   Perhaps the most significant, was the formal s...