Tuesday 22 December 2020

Review of the weekend - Dec 18th-19th

 2 days at Ascot, provided the high-light of the final weekend before Christmas - even if there were few people present to watch it… 



Friday

There is an argument that I should have skipped Fridays racing completely.

It’s not a card that I’ve covered in previous years - but then again, it’s not previously been shown on Terrestrial TV.

It was this year - and so I decided I would cover it.
However, even as I was writing the preview, I was questioning the wisdom of that decision !

The 6 race card contained only 4 races of any possible interest from a betting perspective.

Two of those were handicaps - but they were both very hard to read - and that was before a few key NRs came through.

I ended up ducking them both, from a betting perspective - which was a good call !

The other 2 races were graded novice events - and I decided to get involved with one of those.

That was the novice chase - in which I felt a decent case could be made for Pic D’Orhy.

That may have been true - but it was clear from early on, that the main objective with him, was to get round safely.

In fact, if I was being cynical, I could say it was clear pre-race - as he was quite a drifter !

Whatever, he gave up the outside to no-one - and as soon as push came to shove, he backed out of things.

I’ve no idea what the plan will be for him - but from my perspective, I will just be watching, in the short term at least…

Somewhat ironically, I should maybe have got involved with the other novice race.

I’d narrowed it down to 2 - and one of those, My Drogo, came home a comfortable winner - at 9/1.

The only problem is, he was my second choice in the race - and the price when I could tip him was nearer 4/1 !

As I said, in hindsight probably a day I should have swerved…


Saturday


A much better day, in terms of betting opportunities - and I ended up with 4 Best bets on the day.

One of them was in a race which I didn’t have time to preview - and he was the first suggested bet to run…

I do like Donald McCain horses in the Haydock mud.

A few of the service regulars may recall Ubaltique.
He did us a favour a few years back - and I was very hopeful that Chti Balko might do similar, this morning (!)

He was a 4/1 shot at 10:00 - due mainly to massive support for Ebony Jewel.
To be honest, I didn’t really understand that - though you always have to be wary, when that kind of money arrives.

The only other apparent danger in the race was Tegerek - but he planted at the start and refused to take any part.

In the race itself, Chti Balko tracked Thinking, until that one unshipped his jockey at the fourth.
He then disputed the lead, until taking it up clearly, on the turn for home.

He was already trading odds on IR at that point - and then preceded to just put his rivals to the sword.

The further they went, the further he went clear.
It was 26 lengths at the line - and that didn’t flatter him.

If only he could have lent a few of those lengths to some of the early Best bets (not that I’m still haunted by that period !).

There was then a long gap before the next Best bet took to the track.

That was Lord Napier - who was also running at Haydock.

He also ran well - taking up the running from Roll Again - and retaining the lead into the home straight.
However, he came under pressure shortly after that - and it was soon clear that it wasn’t going to be his day.

There was still a chance that the Matrix might collect, via Sojourn.
He traded odds on IR - as so many of the Matrix bets do - but couldn’t manage to hold off Sams Adventure.

With Salty Boy (my third choice in the race) running on into third, it really was a case of (very) close - but no cigar…

Label des Obeaux was the third Best bet to run.
I thought he would represent a bit of value in a very winnabel race - but I was wrong !

The 8/1 this morning had halved by the off - and to be honest, I wouldn’t have been interested in him at that price.

That said, he was clearly there to win - and he did run a really big race.

He was out of his ground turning in - but switched on the turbo after jumping the third last.

For a moment, he looked likely to win - and traded at 1.43 IR.
However, he had nothing left after jumping the last - and faded into fourth place.

Thankfully, the race was saved for the Matrix, by Queenofhearts.
All things being equal, she was the one I wanted to tip. However her price was way too short last night - and still a bit short this morning.

As a consequence, she became a saver - and did indeed save the day.
She was returned at a perfectly respectable 5/1 - and was available a couple of points bigger than that on the exchanges, just before the off.

One for the Live thread…

The final Best bet to run on the day was Benson - and I was very keen on him (think Cloth Cap keen !).

I did consider having 1pt on him - but settled for 0.5pt - and ultimately that was the right call.

The problem was, he lacked experience for a big field handicap (and I suspect he is also a bit quirky).
He made a bad mistake at the second flight - and that put him in last place.

With all the kick back, that’s never a good place to be - and I did wonder if he might get pulled up.

However, he instead started to motor - and despite a wayward jump at the second last, it was clear that there was still plenty of petrol in the tank.

He must have made up 20 lengths, after jumping the last - it was just a shame that he was 30 lengths adrift, approaching it !

There’s little doubt in my mind, that he was the best horse in the race - but alas, the best horse doesn’t always win…

I’d also covered Belfast Banter in the Matrix - but his story was similar to that of Benson.
He was out the back early - and whilst he tried to lay down a challenge, between the final 2 flights, he had been given a bit too much to do…

The only other bet on the day, was Flying Angel.
I covered him for the Matrix, because I felt he had a chance in the staying chase - and was a decent price.
He ran a fair race - but wasn't quite up to the task.
If I’d got more heavily involved with the race, it would have been with The Conditional.
However, he couldn’t quite manage to peg back the front running, rejuvenated,  Mister Malarky…

Earlier on the Ascot card, I resisted the temptation to side with Saint De Vassy, because I could see too many dangers.
As it happened, he ran a poor race and was pulled up, leaving the 2 main dangers, Bennys King and Gardefort, to fight out the finish.
Bennys eventually came out on top - though I felt Gardefort could easily have won, if things have played out slightly differently.

Finally, Paisley Park ran down Thyme Hill in the shadows of the post, to claim a thrilling Long Walk hurdle.
As most of you probably know, I prefer chases to hurdles - and long distance hurdles probably sit at the very bottom of my pile !

However, I can honestly say that was as good a race as I’ve watched in a long time - and I barely had a bet in it (I'm ignoring my speculative fiver on Portrush Ted !).

An absolute classic !

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report

  Introduction   A number of changes were made to the TVB service for the 2020-21 season.   Perhaps the most significant, was the formal s...